Saturday, June 5, 2010

Happy Birthday VeraLee



As they woke up on the beach the morning after the birthday celebration, wondering what they had done the night before, they took comfort in the fact that they still had their hats on.


VeraLee’s birthday always marks the begin’n of summer, just like Bubba's is the harbinger of spring. Used to be we always celebrated at “Chili Beach” and I mean celebrated! When VeraLee turned 40, I shall never forget; we had salad in a bag, rosemary roasted new potatoes, lobsters cooked over hot coals, roasted corn and maybe I cut a watermelon, I'm not sure I actually cut it, cause I used to take'um and let'um roll around in the back of Bubba's truck and then just bring home again. But, be that as it may. I know DJ made and a big ole "Triffle" one year, cause we had to hide the "trifflin dish" so VeraLee wouldn't suspect anything. (Like she didn't when the lobster snapped her hand when she looked in the bucket makin noise)

For entertainment I sang the entire CD of Phantom of the Opera, even paddlin around in the mist, and I hit my note! The whole trailer court was talkin about that the next day. Corks were flyin and one even stuck itself right up on a nail on the screened in porch. We screamed...I swear Bubba aimed that sucker trying to shut me up....(Phantom of the Opera). (Mannie, the retired hitman from Jersey even came out with his piece to see what that was all about, Mannie lived in the trailer next door) But I would not be hushed because I was a "Sayra" Brightman wannabe. My favorite picture is one of me and VL lookin like a pair of stewed tomatoes after a day of sun and fun. We were holdin one of our soldiers...an empty magnum of the "Captin". We considered ourselves being "green" that way, why by two bottles when a magnum would do! (Half as much to recycle)

After the party we'd walk down to the bath house for a long hot shower and solve the problems of the world, on the way down...or back..or durin. I never took to outdoor showers, preferin to just swim with the dolphins and what ever else was in the water...those days. But we never lost our hats...not once!
So happy birthday VeraLee, thank you for sharin so many with us!

1 comment:

  1. Ah.....Lurlene....you always look so fine in that hat. One day you must tell the story of the Night of Two Bottles and One Very Big Dipper.
    I love you!
    VL

    ReplyDelete