Sunday, September 27, 2009

It's Lee...Like the General


Or...Yeah...But another curse.

In the South, we love our Lee’s and spread’um around as generous as salt on pork.

My Daddy’s Momma was a South Carolina Lee and my Momma’s Momma was a North Carolina Lee and then we have the Lee cousins in Rockmart, Georgia and so on.

My Daddy’s middle name was Lee and my brother was named after him ‘cause we love our “Juniors.”

My uncles on my Mamma and my Daddy’s side had a Lee in their name and then there are the Teena’s; Vera Lee, Orah “MeMe” Lee, (and there was Praleen but she changed her name and left town...don't get me started) and then there is me…I’m the all dragged out Lurleeeeeen! (be sure and cock your head to the side and smile when you say that)

My Momma’s Momma who was Maude Lee, jus’ said, “enough is enough!” when she named my Momma she stopped the madness…but in so doin, put in motion the granddaddy of all curses “the shame of havin’ no middle name!”
I’m telling you…that’s when the madness began. She just felt cheated that’s all and it stays with you…it does…it’s like you are always makin up for that one moment…right after labor when your momma was too darn tired to even think up a middle name. (It may have been a good thing cause my Grandmomma Maude was a cussin' woman, and my Momma says I am just like her..and her eyes narrow a bit when she says it...and her lip twitches) And even if you marry, you’re still a name short…it’s just not right.

My momma told me that she used to pretend that her middle name was Rose and I suppose flower names are alright although I prefer Lilly, maybe cause you can still hear the little Lee if you say it jus’ right.

No comments:

Post a Comment