Monday, July 26, 2010

My Pie?

Now I mean no harm or disrespect but have you ever noticed how when you go lookin for a recipe on the internet that you find it and it sounds good and it has five stars and then you drop down a little lower to investigate what folks actually said about “the recipe” and they say things like; “this was the best peach pie recipe ever, I made a few changes like I added a teaspoon of nutmeg, and I didn’t use the sugah they called for, or I substituted agave and then tapioca for the cornstarch, then I added a cup of white wine and only cooked it for 20% of the time the author mentioned and then left it in the oven overnight and it was perfect.”

Honestly, why did you give this recipe five stars when the only thing that vaguely resembles the original was that you started with peaches? It’s not right…I mean…you are gushing over your own version of this poor defenseless peach pie recipe and I guess the lady who sent it in is askin, “what tha?”

I mean here she is, sharin her heart, her perfect pie and everyone is just changing, and addin, and subtractin. I bet her feelins were hurt when her blue ribbon winner turned into lord knows what kind of mess.

Oh I see it all the time and I have to say, does anyone out there just “follow” the Peach Pie as written? Why did you even look for a recipe if you are gonna to change it up like that? Perhaps I am being testy. But I digress.

Sunday was Dennis 54th and Buck and I had a boatload of fresh peaches from one of our day trips so here is our version of a perfect "Peach and Oh, I had a handful of blueberries so I threw them in Pie." It was good I thought, try it like this or go ahead and put your little spin on it and call it your own.
Happy Birthday Dennis!

Dennis’s “Just Peachy” and Blueberry Deep-Dish Birthday Pie
This involves getting into your car and heading out to find fresh peaches.
Ingredients
• 10-15 fresh peaches, pitted and sliced
• a handful of “woe is me” blueberries
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1/4 cup butter
• 1 TBS. cornstarch
• 1 tsp. Nutmeg
• Dash of Amaretto (because Lurlene is cookin)
• 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie or "Let the Dough-Boy do it."

Directions

  • Mix flour, cornstarch, sugar and butter into crumb stage
  • Place one crust in the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate.
  • Line the shell with some sliced peaches. Sprinkle some of the butter mixture on top of the peaches, then put more peaches on top of the crumb mixture. Toss the blueberries in “willie-nillie.”
  • Continue layering until both the peaches and crumbs are gone.
  • I like to use my cookie cutters to cut out shapes for the top of the pie, stars, hearts, dogs, etc. Top pie with what ever you want to do with the top crust.
  • Bake at 450 degrees for 15 min and then 350 for 30 minutes or until crust is golden.
    Allow pie to cool before slicing.
  • Best when eaten fresh. With friends.

2 comments:

  1. This is what I mean! I found this while searching for a nice Galette.

    I took a recipe.
    Left out the butter and the wheat flour.
    And the refined sugar and some more butter.
    Substituted palm shortening and spelt flour.
    And raw sugar and an egg yolk wash.
    Added raspberries.
    And some extra almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was DELISH!!!! Happy Birthday Deej!

    ReplyDelete