Sunday, April 18, 2010

Vera Lee Cooks Again



Hail Mary Full of Grace Berry Cobbler
A real outing of the Bellevue Supper Club is spontaneous and at the end of a busy day working in the yard or in my case up in the attic. Yesterday Lushious “rang the bell” and everyone came to her backyard to eat and drink. I was supposed to bring dessert. Now….perhaps you remember the story about the Volvo. It seems the Volvo has a mind of its own and decides when and where it will run. Well Bubba was out of town in my new little mouse car and I was left with the old cantankerous. So of course I couldn’t go to the store to get anything and was left to my own devices and whatever happened to be available in the frig. So I googled until I found a recipe that went with my ingredients. Hence the Hail Mary Cobbler….. I had just enough and not a bit extra to make this receipt. So here is a busy day, last minute, make it in a Crockpot dessert by Paula Dean. It does make your house smell really good while you cook it!
Now, it says to serve it with ice cream but the mean old Volvo would not let me go to get any….Holly came to the rescue by going home to get some whipped cream.
Oh….and I read a suggestion that instead of making the topping….you could just put a roll of those refrigerated cinnamon buns on top of the fruit. It sounds good so I might just try that the next time….

Ingredients
Filling:
• 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen strawberries
• 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen blueberries
• 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen raspberries
• 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar, depending on your level of preferred sweetness
• 1/2 cup Bisquick
Topping:
• 2 1/4 cups Bisquick
• 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
• 4 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1/2 cup milk
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions
Spray the insert of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the frozen fruit, sugar and 1/2 cup baking mix. Transfer the fruit to the slow cooker. In another large mixing bowl, stir together 2 1/4 cups baking mix, 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter and milk with a wooden spoon. With your hands, drop bits of dough on top of the fruit in the slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the dough and place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn the power onto high and slow cook for 3 to 4 hours until the topping has puffed and the fruit is bubbling.
Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. It was a tasty purple treat...ever notice how black berrys are really bullies. They just change the color of everything, why I had no idea a lowly strawberry was in that mix. Good to see you writin' again Vera Lee, I was wonderin if the death of Dixie Carter had crippled your typin finger. xo Lurlene

    ReplyDelete