Thursday, November 11, 2010

When VooDo Won't Do

Inspiring me to do a little Bite-Me-Map, Liane Kupferberg Carter said it well in her short story, "A Room of My Own", published in this month's issue of Skirt Magazine.

"Writing was my refuge. Writing pinned the chaos to the page; it made it containable and manageable."
Right now so many of my friends are going though what seems to me to be a "re-birthin." Changes are out there, forcin'um out of the comfort of the familiar and sendin'um, one contraction at a time into another phase of life.

While I never birthed anything but a few ideas and some strange art, I do have a vague memory of the process. It's not comfortable and the birth canal is tricky to navigate. But bottom line is, there is only one way out so keep your hands and feet close and just keep "go'in to the light."

These days, I'm just a shadow boxer and it's hard because, there's not much I can actually do, but let'um know I have their back. Earlier today I wrote Lushious and told her to just imagine a great big bugger (how does one spell that crusty thing that falls from the nose) on the lip of the person givin her grief. Look'um right in the face and see it there...while that won't do a darn thing to change the situation, it will put a smile on her face and we all know that those who pretend to be superior, hate it when you smile like that. It'll also help to lightly brush your own nose a time or two, folks always fall for that one. My favorite was when I used to motion to my Nemitoad, "Miss Thang" and then brush at the corner of my lip; and then she'd mirror me and say, "Do I have somthin' on my lip?" Then I'd say, "Yeah, bullshit." Worked every time! Now she didn't write my checks or anything, but it gave us a good laugh and got her off her high horse so we could continue with the work that had to be done.

Changes are hard, especially when the whole picture is so confusin', but I firmly believe that Miss Universe don't play. So to my friends havin' to put up with BS right now, it's time to pin the bugger on the "Donkey" and know that karma is a thing in the makin'.

2 comments:

  1. I love this, and I HOLLERED outloud when I read your message about the buggar on the nose! You are just the bestest!!!! xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lush...you are gittin stronger and meaner and wiser than those fools who think they are gittin over, they have no idea. I love you woman and I will always box the beast for you. ATL. Lurlene

    ReplyDelete